Salt Water Systems
A salt system is a convenient alternative to conventional chlorine. It brings your pool the very best in soft, silky water, with no more red eyes, itchy skin, or harsh odors.
Salt water chlorination is a process that uses dissolved salt to create chlorine. The chlorine generator, also known as salt cell, salt generator, or salt chlorinator, uses electrolysis, in the presence of dissolved salt, to produce chlorine. Thus, a saltwater pool is not actually chlorine-free; it simply utilizes a chlorine generator instead of direct addition of chlorine.
Benefits and Disadvantages of a Salt System
- Reduction of irritating chloramine
- Soft feel of water
- Constant delivery of chlorine based sanitzer
- No need to purchase chlorine
- Salt system cans sometimes be less offensvie to individuals who are sensitive to chlorine
- Initial cost of the system
- Increased maintenance
- Cost of replacement cells
- Salt is a corrosive mineral and can damage some metals. Furthermore, most pool equipment manufacturers will not warranty stainless steel products damaged by salt pools.